Table of Contents
- Traditional Importance
- My Personal Experience
- Prep Time, Cook Time and Servings
- Nutritional Value
- FAQs and How-To’s
Tom Yum Goong, this delicately balanced hot and sour soup, has kept my family’s dining table vibrant and full of life. This authentic Thai soup, steeped in the essence of lemongrass, galangal and kaffir lime leaves, represents the unique characters of Thai food—spicy, aromatic and light. It’s more than a dish; it’s a reflection of our family’s bond and our love for wholesome Thai cuisine.
My Personal Experience
Growing up in Isaan, one of my initial kitchen memories is of my grandmother preparing Tom Yum Goong. The enticing scent of lemongrass and the tangy taste of tamarind calling out to everyone at home. I can still hear the sizzle of the shrimp hitting the bubbling soup; it’s a memory that never fails to warm my heart and belly. This recipe is my grandmother’s legacy and I’m proud to share it with you, so you too can experience a taste of authentic Thai cuisine.
Prep Time, Cook Time and Servings
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Servings|
- 4 cups water
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 6 slices galangal
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, torn into halves
- 10-15 shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 200g straw mushrooms
- 2 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2-3 bird’s eye chilies
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- handful of fresh coriander leaves
|Nutrients||Value Per Serving|
Per serving: 120 calories
- Bring water to boil, add lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, bird’s eye chilies. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add straw mushrooms and tomatoes, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add shrimps and cook until they are changed color.
- Add fish sauce, sugar, lime juice. Adjust to taste.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, serve hot.
FAQs and How-To’s
Can you substitute straw mushrooms?
Yes, you can substitute straw mushrooms with other types of mushrooms like button, cremini, or shiitake.
How spicy is Tom Yum Goong?
The soup can be very spicy depending on your tolerance level. Adjust the bird’s eye chilies as per your taste.
Can you use chicken instead of shrimp in Tom Yum Goong recipe?
Yes, chicken can be used as an alternative to shrimp.
How do you prepare lemongrass?
Peel the outer layers of lemongrass to reveal the softer, lighter part inside. Cut it into 2-3 inches and bashed it to release the aroma.
Let’s go ahead and get started cooking authentic Thai Tom Yum Goong Soup today!
- [Preparing ingredients](link to image)
- [Boiling the soup](link to image)
- [Finished product](link to image)