Tom Kha Gai, a cherished Thai soup, offers a delightful fusion of tender chicken, creamy coconut milk, and aromatic herbs that create a comforting and flavorful culinary experience. This classic soup has its roots deeply embedded in Thailand’s rich culinary history, embodying the essence of Thai cuisine with its perfect balance of sweet, sour, and savory elements.
The origins of Tom Kha Gai can be traced back to the traditional Thai kitchens, where locals have long been using an abundance of fresh and fragrant ingredients, such as galangal, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves, to create tantalizing dishes. The word “Tom Kha” refers to the boiling process (Tom) and the use of galangal (Kha), a key ingredient in the soup, while “Gai” signifies chicken.
The people who make Tom Kha Gai possess a deep understanding of the delicate balance of flavors that sets Thai cuisine apart. From home cooks to professional chefs, they skillfully combine the richness of coconut milk with the tanginess of lime juice and the umami of fish sauce, creating a harmonious blend that warms the soul.
As Thai cuisine continues to gain worldwide recognition, Tom Kha Gai has emerged as a popular choice for those seeking a comforting and flavorful soup. Our authentic recipe invites you to explore the unique taste profile of this traditional dish, while appreciating the culinary artistry of the people who make it. Enjoy the soothing and delicious flavors of Tom Kha Gai and immerse yourself in the world of Thai cuisine.
Indulge in the rich and comforting flavors of Tom Kha Gai, a classic Thai soup that combines tender chicken, creamy coconut milk, and aromatic herbs. This soothing soup is a perfect blend of sweet, sour, and savory notes that will warm your heart and soul. Our easy-to-follow recipe brings the authentic taste of Thailand to your home, making it an ideal choice for a cozy meal or a delightful starter.
- 1 liter chicken broth
- 400ml coconut milk
- 300g boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces and slightly crushed
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 4 slices galangal, thinly sliced
- 3-4 bird’s eye chilies, slightly crushed (adjust to desired spice level)
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp lime juice (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 200g straw mushrooms, halved (or substitute with button mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Prepare the broth: In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, and bird’s eye chilies. Let the mixture simmer for 5-7 minutes to infuse the flavors into the broth.
- Add the coconut milk: Stir in the coconut milk and bring the soup back to a gentle simmer.
- Cook the chicken and mushrooms: Add the sliced chicken and straw mushrooms to the pot. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Season the soup: Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and granulated sugar to the pot. Stir well to combine, and adjust the taste according to your preference.
- Add the tomatoes: Stir in the cherry tomatoes and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until they are slightly softened.
- Serve: Remove the pot from the heat and ladle the soup into serving bowls. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
Note: Feel free to customize your Tom Kha Gai by adjusting the level of spiciness or adding other vegetables, such as bell peppers or baby corn. You can also substitute chicken with shrimp or tofu for a different protein option. Enjoy the rich and flavorful taste of this classic Thai soup!